Friday, November 4, 2016

30 Days of Loving Well - Sons

Seventeen years ago, I didn't have much of a frame of reference for raising a boy.
I am one of five sisters - no brothers! - so girls were my wheelhouse.
(Not that I raised me and my sisters...but at least I knew what we liked, what made us mad and what clothes to purchase!)
True, I had two nephews, and I worked full time for my friend, Annie, doing production work while also helping with her son, Charlie.
Still these experiences with other people's sons were essentially just anecdotal situations that only slightly better informed my knowledge of boys.
Add to that the fact that I had been raising a girl for three years and the needle on my 
"boy meter" pointed way, way down.
I was pretty nervous to actually raise one.

Then on November 4, 1999, my worldview expanded by a huge amount.
I had a boy.
We named him Braden Joseph.
And my life changed completely for the better.

It's hard to explain that God knew exactly what I needed.
Though Braden's road has often times been challenging, helping him traverse it has been an honor and one of my greatest joys.
He is kind.
He is an emotional rock.
He is hilarious.
He is smart and oh, so talented.
Most importantly, he is a man of faith, looking at life with grace and through prayer.
He has grown into such a fine young man.


So today, on this, his 17th birthday, I am reminded of the bond that is shared between a mother and her son.
The gift that it is.
The incomparable love that is exchanged.
And how very, very grateful I am to be blessed with this son.




{So proud of my young man & 
the walk he is making.
Thanking God for his beautiful life.
Thanks for reading.
And Happy Birthday, Brae!!}





No comments:

Post a Comment