Thursday, November 3, 2016

30 Days of Loving Well - Marriage

I've written here about my marriage...
my husband...
what we do well and what we will forever need to work on.
I don't know much about marriage and would never presume to advise anyone on the correct way to maneuver in one.
In fact, I'm so woefully not-knowledgeable about it, even after twenty years, it's almost laughable.

But I do know one thing and that one thing is this:

When you are married, in order for any. other. thing. in your home to work, the two of you must be working.
With the exception of the love of our Heavenly Father, the marriage has to come first...
Be the ultimate priority...
Take a back seat to no one...
Because when things are off in a marriage, everything in the home is off as well.

I don't care what that "other priority" is.
Children.
Work.
Parents.
Play.
Friends.
I've been guilty of putting every single one of these ahead of my marriage to my great later angst.

Simply put, filling each other's tanks is necessary in order for the marriage vehicle (can it be a convertible BMW?) to drive.

So in the spirit of love in the home, in the partnership, in the marriage, following is my favorite scripture on love, as told by the Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.  It's shown here in its' entirety, 1 Corinthians 13, to read with a fresh eye, to absorb with all of our hearts:

"If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Yes, the greatest of all is Love.

{Praying for all of the married & partnered couples out there today.  
That the words of Paul will be in your relationship each day.  Thanks for reading.}

No comments:

Post a Comment