Saturday, October 22, 2016

Simply Saturdays - Coming Home, Day #20

I have only one recommendation for this week because it's a pricey one.  
We had the excuse to spend the money because it was a gift I thought my husband would enjoy, so we got it for his birthday.  
(Although, full disclosure, I think I use it more than he does!)  


Meet the newest member of our household as of August...

Alexa!

(aka Echo powered through your Amazon account)

Here are some of the things that Alexa can do (verbatim as listed on the Amazon page...)

  • Plays all your music from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more using just your voice
  • Fills the room with immersive, 360º omni-directional audio
  • Allows hands-free convenience with voice-control
  • Hears you from across the room with far-field voice recognition, even while music is playing
  • Answers questions, reads audiobooks and the news, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and more using the Alexa Voice Service
  • Controls lights, switches, and thermostats with compatible WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Nest, and ecobee smart home devices
  • Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills like Uber, Domino's, and more


All of this is programmed from your smartphone with the free Amazon app.  It even has you answer a bunch of questions so it gets used to your speech patterns.  Fun!

Here are the things I like to do with Alexa:

  • Get the weather report
  • Check traffic
  • Add items to my grocery list (this has been invaluable to me as I often don't pause to write it down then I forget!)
  • Set a timer to go and get a kid from school
  • Play my favorite classical music and/or artists
  • Get the day's news while I'm cleaning
  • Play Seinfeld trivia :)
  • Order a pizza

Aaaaannnnddd, Drew's favorite thing...

"Alexa, tell me a joke..."

(Didn't intend to spend $175 for Drew to occasionally hear a corny joke, but...)


Anyway, if you have a techie kind of person at your house....
Or if you feel like any of the functions above would be helpful in organizing your life, I highly recommend Alexa as an investment.

(Plus, sometimes, it's just nice to have someone else's voice in the house when I'm alone during the day...makes me feel a little less crazy as I'm talking aloud.  :)  Man, I gotta get outta here...)

My next play will be getting from programmable light bulbs so I can have Alexa shut the lights off from away.
If you already have an Alexa/Echo, I would love to know what skills you have it programmed for....I'm always trying to learn more to make the most of our investment.  
And if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.  
It's been fun programming it to do more and more things each week!



{Thanks for reading on a Saturday.  
Hope your weekend is filled with 
rest & relaxation!
#write31days  #coming home}

No comments:

Post a Comment