Saturday, October 29, 2016

Simply Saturdays - Coming Home, #23

Two of my recommendations this week are books  and the third rec is a versatile, yummy product that I've recently started using - with interesting results.

Let's talk about reading first...

The first is a book my husband was exposed to at his leadership training in Seattle a few weeks ago.  He travels there again on Monday to take another seminar or two with the author, Craig Weber.
(Autograph anyone?)  
The book is called "Conversational Capacity" and is, not only a leadership tool but, a tutelage in getting on a level playing field with conversations anywhere.

Speaking as a reformed "flame thrower"  ("Must win, must win, must win....strong-arming to ensue to prove I'm right...") - 
converted to a "minimizer" ("I know you've been stressed lately, but I was thinking maybe, if it's okay with you, we could possibly do X." Gross.  It stresses me out just reading that.) -
it has been invaluable to me in assessing my conversation tendencies and rethinking strategies to land on a more healthy interaction with ALL people.  
If you struggle with getting your point across and accepting others' opinions as well, don't walk...RUN to get a copy.


Book #2 is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  It's a Bible study written by Denise J. Hughes that encourages the reader to write every word of the Word.  We're studying Ephesians in this session.  So over the course of the course (intentional), I'll have written every word of this book while studying each.  

Hughes has multiple studies published like this one through #wordwriters and, in addition to being simultaneously lovely and peaceful visually, they encourage a deep dive into the words of Paul.  

Because I love to physically write plus support Hughes' contention that one retains words longer if they are written down, I loved this format.  However, I was sold in her intro to Ephesians...in reference to Paul's message:  "Grace be with all who have undying love for our Lord Jesus Christ."

"Paul knew some strange ideas about God would soon perforate the faith of new believers.  He knew the message of grace would be challenged.  He knew the believers would be tempted to forget their First Love.  Paul also knew his remaining days were few....Paul's letter to the Ephesians is a call to carry on with an undying love for our Lord...And the same saving grace that changed Paul's life continues to change lives today."  

You can look at her book here.  And if you decide to join up, let me know, okay?  We can journey a bit together. 



My last recommendation is organic coconut oil.  
(Nutiva, the brand I chose, also donates 1% of every purchase to sustainable agriculture up to 2 million.) 

So far this week, I have oil pulled (only gotten to 10 minutes at a time...gonna have to work on this one)...
Conditioned my hair...
And used it to soften my feet. (TMI on that last one, I realize.  But they're yikes, so yay me!) The last one, if I continue regularly, I think may actually solve my problem!

I'm looking forward to cooking with it and also trying more of the holistic suggestions I've found on various websites.  Just one referenced here but lots more where that came from. 

Thanks again for being my community through this month's posts.  
I'm so grateful to be here with you. 



{Thanks for reading.
Hope you're having a great weekend.
#write31days #cominghome}

No comments:

Post a Comment