Thursday, October 2, 2014

Daily Mundane Lesson #2 - "LISTEN" (Part II)

(If you didn't read the first part of the following story I'm sharing, please read Part I here.  If you're all caught up, read on!  To recap, at the close of yesterday's story, I was judging Virgil for standing too close to the liquor...oy...)


Of course, upon a further look, Virgil was - again heartbreakingly - trying to decide between whole milk and 2%, finally landing on the full-fat option.
"A soda is included in the combo," I said, but he stuck with the healthier choice.
I told him to please feel free to choose chips to go along with his sandwich.
He said, "Well, if you can afford it, it would be really great if I could have the combo.  I just didn't know where I was going to find the money to eat today."

Afford it?
Afford it?
I could not NOT afford to do whatever was the right thing for this fellow human being.
"Yes, I can afford it," I reassured him, though not articulating the ache that had started in me that it still JUST WASN'T ENOUGH...

As we exited, Virgil gave me a toothless grin and many, many profound "thank you's."
(Waaay more than I deserved.  Don't sob in front of him, Cynth...)
He told me he had heard about some kids who had vandalized an area in adjacent Long Beach the night before.  They had gotten in trouble, but no one had cleaned up their handiwork yet, so "I thought I'd go over there today and start cleaning it up after I eat."
I said to him, "Well, that's a beautiful thing to do and a great way to give back.  Thank you for helping our community."

Another lesson from Virgil.

As we parted at the pumpkins, I told him - again - to have a good day...
...knowing that, somehow, this time, that was the right thing to say.
(Thank You, Holy Spirit...)
When I reached my car, I stopped and waited.
No chant.
No beckoning.
I listened long and hard.
Nothing but a peaceful heart.
I had done what I was supposed to do, I think.

Suddenly I had a moment of recalling past internal urgings, those same "banana" type chants resulting from similar situations over the years.
I now recognized, with the clarity confirmed by my current peaceful heart, 
that I had purposely ignored all those moments before.
Hundreds...dare I imagine, thousands?
Convicted.  
And I lived a lifetime of shame in that single moment, 
knowing I had explained away God's call with pseudo convincing excuses or non-important agendas.
I never learned all of those Virgil-type lessons that were planned for me.

But grace, thankfully, is looking ahead.
So I asked for forgiveness, pledging to listen daily to those God-moments brought about in my daily mundane, waiting with an expectant heart for His call.   

Then I got in my car, late for all of my appointments, but without one bit of regret.





{Praying you are better at 
"listening"
in the day to day than I was 
at the start of this story.  
Lord, help me to always listen 
to your whispers on my heart.  
Thanks for reading.}





8 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful story and it really made me think about that voice telling me to do more - is it God? Wow. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I think I can say with great certainty that "still small voice" (or in my case sometimes, big, fat SHOUT) is God - reason being every time I listen and follow, it stops talking at me. Until the next time I need to listen. :) Can't wait to read some of your posts too! Time set aside tonight....

      Delete
  2. You're a wonderful story-teller! I could really picture this whole scenario playing out on my head.

    Even better, I love how God used this situation with Virgil to teach you (and now me) how to be a better listener. God is always speaking to us, we just have to learn how to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Denise, for visiting and commenting. Leaving a little note of encouragement to a blogger is such a gift. Thanks for visiting - you're welcome back any time!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your heart and your experience with Virgil!!! God is so sweet and so patient with us all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, amen to that Larissa. Far beyond what I should hope or imagine, He is patient. We are all so blessed. Thank you for finishing the saga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness. How many times have we all ignored that still small voice? It's so easy to do sometimes. Good on you for listening and being obedient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. It was a singular moment for me. So grateful God sent the message. Humbled each day by His care.

      Delete