Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Daily Mundane #7 - When All is Dry

I woke up Sunday morning with the thought, "Six days in, and I have nothing left to say."
All dried up.
Empty well.
No inspiration.
Nada.

I almost giggled at how ludicrous it was for me to take on this 31 Day Blogger challenge, with my limited time, increasingly busy schedule and bogged-down brain.
I can barely access my creativity for current students and on-going projects, much less find more in the nooks and crannies of the cracks of time sandwiched between endeavors.
Ha!
Even more ludicrous, however, was my assumption that I would find the Word peppered throughout my daily life, staying engaged and awe-struck enough to write about it.  
Ridiculous!

So what did I do?
I turned to The Source of inspiration.
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I stated a challenge of sorts.
Not the "raining manna from Heaven" kind of challenge - more of a watered down 2014 version - but a challenge nonetheless.
"God, if you are really calling me to write more, you're gonna have to step in here.  'Cause I got NUTHIN!  If you are here...all around me...wanting me to share your great love, grace and calling, please send me Your Word in the Scripture at church today."

Then I quietly went about my morning.
I'll admit I was looking forward to what would happen.

For those of you who stop by regularly, you know I have a particular attachment to the Scriptures where there are seeds being planted, watered, vines and branches growing (or being strangled!).  I know these are sent to me specially by Him because of my app Branching Out in Faith.
They're like my calling card.

To say, then, that God sent me The Word on Sunday would be a big, fat understatement.
Sent?
Nah...
Try overnight express messenger service with fireworks, earthquakes and lightning.
The kind of Word that sends you reeling forward, straight into the arms of His power.
(With a bit of a "told you so!" I might add.)

Scripture #1 - that I was honored to proclaim from the altar - was Isaiah 5:1-7.
It began, "Let me now sing of my friend,
my friend's song concerning his vineyard."
First sentence...POW!
It continued, "The vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel,
and the people of Judah are his cherished plant;"
By the way, this reading was not an uplifting one.  
 It was a clear direction to follow His commands. 

Scripture #2, the Responsorial Psalm, followed.
"The vineyard of the Lord is the house of Israel."
Then one of the verses:
"Once again, O LORD of hosts,
look down from heaven, and see;
take care of this vine,
and protect what your right hand has planted
the son of man whom you yourself made strong."
BAM!

The Gospel reading, Matthew 21:33-43, a one-two punch to the head, rounded it out.
"Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:
"Hear another parable.
There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,
put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower." 
ZOW!
As I reeled from the conviction of these proofs of His charge, He finished it up.
"Therefore, I say to you,
the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
and given to a people that will produce its fruit."
KABLAM!

I was down for the count.

I asked for a sign.
I asked for His Word.
And not only did He speak in my language, in the terms I could clearly understand and discern for myself, but He gave me direction that surpassed any I could have wished for.

"Do your job.
Write My Word.
Plant those seeds.
Harvest them.
Continue to till and water and tend them until they are flourishing.
This is not only My request for you.
It is My charge to you."

Yes, Lord.
Got it.
You win.
Match over.

P.S.  Sorry I challenged You!!



{Thanks for reading.
Praying your Word & direction 
is as clear today as this was for me!





1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can SO relate to this! I was in the exact same place on Sunday. Even though what I am writing is, essentially, a story, I hit a wall. I was overwhelmed emotionally and tired in body, mind, and spirit. I had to cantor the psalm you mentioned in Mass that morning (are you Catholic, by the way?) and I found myself feeling less than up to the task. Somehow, God gave me the strength to both get through the cantoring and to find my voice for the 31 Day challenge too. It wasn't exactly what I thought I'd be writing about, but it worked out in the end. It's not the first time I've felt like I had nothing to say. I actually wrote a blog post not long before I started the challenge entitled, "Yeah, I Got Nothing." It wasn't the most profound blog post, but I actually did wind up with something a bit more than the nothing I began with when I got to the end. Thank you for all your "somethings." I am really enjoying reading!

    ReplyDelete