Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Daily Mundane #26 - Lessons in Food, Part IV



Before I close my series on daily mundane lessons in food, I wanted to share with you an amazing and much needed conversion that has occurred during my recent quest for wellness.

For some reason, since the death of my father, I have had NO DESIRE to cook.  
Now, to fill you in on the background, I have always loved puttering around in the kitchen.
From hearty, homemade fare to trying gourmet recipes; from decorating cakes to planning, preparing and hosting dinner for 40, I've loved cooking.  I've embraced it.
I was raised by gifted cooks.  
No formal training, just good taste and instincts.  My Mema and Poppy owned a restaurant. My Grammy was the personal cook for the church leaders.
My mother's forays in the kitchen are always spot on.
Cooking together has been a true source of joy for my sisters and I over the years when our families have gotten together.  
My children even inherited this love.  They were in cooking classes by the time they were tweens.

But something changed within my heart when we lost my dad.
I started feeling anxious about going to the grocery store.
I didn't want to boil a pot of water much less prepare an entire meal.
And forget about the planning.
My poor husband...every time he asked, "What do you want to do for dinner?" you'd have thought he asked me to turn my key to detonate a nuclear bomb.
I've been a mess!

But something beautiful transformed within me these last weeks as I've followed specific recipes since starting The Plan.
I don't know if it was perusing the shelves at the organic food market...
Or having everything laid out in such a way that I don't have to think...
Or if it's the chopping and slicing and dicing and seasoning and sauteing.

I don't know if it's the sight and smells, handling and anticipating...
Or the feeling that everything I am putting in my body is good for me - body, soul and spirit.
None of the reasons matter really.

What matters is that I'm once again engaged in something that, for my lifetime up until two years ago, has brought me profound joy.
And the humdrum doesn't feel like it.
It feels special again.
It feels right.
It feels somehow sacred.

So, as a close to my food thoughts, I'd like to finish with a sweet little prayer for cook's I found on the blog, "Reorganized Simplicity."  This verse puts a little form to my rediscovered love for the kitchen and all it's blessings.  Enjoy!






{Praying for all good things for 
your bodies, souls & spirits too.
Thanks for reading.}

No comments:

Post a Comment