Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Daily Mundane #20 - Lessons in Food, Part I

(Spoiler alert:  This post has it ALL!  Intrigue, discovery, danger, daily mundane, autumn's season of change and the introduction of a new. best. friend.  Read on if you think you can handle it.)


The advent of this post was formed last Monday, but I needed to let some days pass before addressing it.  You see, I just wasn't in a position to write in an articulate and objective way regarding this topic.  
Where do I begin?
Hmmm...perhaps the background.

It all started last year with a post by one of my favorite bloggers, Kari Patterson, over at Sacred Mundane.  She was describing a book called "The Plan" which had been recommended to her mother as she fought and dealt with the ramifications of Parkinson's.  Kari committed to following the plan in support of her mom.
I was intrigued.

"The Plan" is a type of elimination food program. It's not a diet. More of a journey of finding which foods cause issues (such as inflammation, migraines, weight gain, foggy thinking, lethargy, etc.) and which are safe for the individual tester.  I felt that I was being called to make a change at that time, so I bought the book.
After reading it, I realized it would take an incredibly significant time commitment and searched the calendar for the appropriate 20 days that were clear for the testing phase.
My discovery?
There is never a good time.  There is always something going on.
I knew I had to just take the plunge, so I chose the requisite 20 day time period after my surgery in April...
Then promptly ignored it.
(Classic Cynthia...)

Let's skip ahead to last Monday.
I finally felt so awful in my earthly vessel that I was left with no choice but to move forward.
I started the three day cleanse.
(Now, don't freak out here.  I don't subscribe to wonky, deprivation diets.  This was not extreme as we think of extreme.)  
I ate three meals and one snack that day.  
It's just that the fare was very different than what I am used to.  
Translation?  Grown only from the ground.

One hour in, I had decided this was a terrible idea.
One day later, I knew I was in danger.
In danger of either losing my mind or committing "Plan" heresy by robbing my pantry of all salty snacks...better yet, someone just give me a piece. of meat. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Five days later, I felt clear.
Cleansed.
More energetic.
The vestiges of health returning daily little by little.
(Just don't ask about my daily 3:30PM crash.  I've almost got it figured out.  Sigh...)

Anyway, today, 8 days later, I am almost completely adjusted and actually craving some of the food I have been preparing.
Now, if I never had to see another piece of lettuce - radicchio, kale, baby romaine or otherwise - I would probably be a very happy woman.
But, truly, the food is really good, and I am getting used to my new daily mundane of preparing each meal.  
(Interpretation:  Chopping, dicing, grating and paring ALL DAY LONG.)

So in honor of this renewed sense of enjoying God's bountiful goodness "from farm to table," I'd like to share my favorite recipe so far. 
This is a lovely seasonal offering - it just feels like Autumn.
The best news is that it's really easy on the wallet.
After all, you can buy approximately 300 carrots for a buck and a half, so even those of you adhering to a budget can partake.

But before I hammer out the recipe, I want to introduce you to my new. best. friend.
Truly I couldn't have gotten through the last week without this friend by my side, taking care of most of the prep work for me.
Without further ado....


Introducing...the Zyliss vegetable peeler!

Making her God's Daily Message for the Dense debut...

(I hope I haven't embarassed her!  I just don't know what I would have done without her the past week!)



She blew through this stack of carrots in about 6 minutes.  Formidable, I tell ya'!

CARROT GINGER SOUP

1 1/2 lbs. carrots
1 zucchini
1 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
Raw ginger, peeled and minced, to taste
Cinnamon, cumin, onion powder to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 quart water

Chop veggies and simmer with spices in water (for thicker soup, use 1/2 quart of water) until soft.  Puree in blender or food processor.  Makes 6-8 servings

(My notes:  I omitted the onion powder.  And before eating a singular bowl, I add a few Tbsp coconut milk.  It's also great with goat cheese sprinkles on top for those of you who would like to add some protein!)

Please enjoy and feel free to share this beautiful Carrot Ginger Soup recipe.
It's easy on the tummy and, depending on how you season it, has a sweetness with a kick that I've really enjoyed!
Buon Appetito!!



Recipe credit:  Lyn-Genet Recitas, The Plan



{Told you this post had it all!
Thanks for reading!}


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and for sharing your journey to farm to table eating! I pinned the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Moi! It's been a short journey so far - but a great one!

      Delete
  2. That soup sounds delicious! I need to clean up my diet too!

    ReplyDelete