Saturday, October 11, 2014

Daily Mundane #10 - Love For a Son

I love my son.
Love him.
Even when he calls me last minute to tell me he's forgotten his ticket to the football game, then when I remind him that he'll be home between school and the game, he says "Oh right," and hangs up on me.
Or when he texts me at 11:30AM in the middle of my meeting to tell me he needs a note signed so he can leave campus since it's a minimum day; and when asked how soon he needs it, he responds, "Right now...sorry!"
Or when he looks at me like everything out of my mouth is a semi-ignorant statement, and I'm the last person on earth he'd want to talk to.
I still love him - plus I'd like to strangle him a little.

Then one day we're sitting together talking and laughing when my young man says to me, "Sometimes I wonder if Grandpa Joe were still around and we had lived nearby, if we would have been close."

...gentle, quiet weeping in my heart...

I tell him all of the many things Grandpa, my dear Daddy, would have loved about him.
His laughter and sense of humor.
His musical ability and his many talents.
His kindness.
And he says, "You really think so?"
"Oh yes," I say.  "I have no doubt."
And I forget every missed homework assignment and roll of the eyes and lost football ticket and the minutiae of every day with a teenage boy, getting lost in my deepest love for him.
A love that knows no bounds...a love that feels deeper than the ocean.

Because this is what love is made of after all.
These silly moments we overlook while seeking out the treasures.
Loving no matter what.
Loving with reassurance.
Loving without condition.

The way our Father loves His children, boundless and total in His care.


“Love is tricky. It is never mundane or daily. You can never get used to it. You have to walk with it, then let it walk with you. You can never balk. It moves you like the tide. It takes you out to sea, then lays you on the beach again. Today's struggling pain is the foundation for a certain stride through the heavens. You can run from it but you can never say no. It includes everyone.” ― Amy TanThe Hundred Secret Senses


{Short post today & thankful for a
day of some rest with my beautiful loves here.  
Thanks for reading.}



Photo credit:  Nattu on Flickr

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes. This resonates so much with me. My middle daugher, AB, challenges me in so many ways, but at the end of the day, I look at her and I am bowled over by the love I feel for her. Children are such a blessing that way -- even if sometimes we want to strangle them! :) Love the quote from Amy Tan. I've read that book, but it's been years. Might be time to dig it out again!

    ReplyDelete