Thursday, June 19, 2014

Graduated Thoughts

Well, we did it, my family and I.  
We made it through the spring and all the travels...
the surgery and the healing...
the awards ceremonies and end of school year concerts & festivities...
and the BIG event, my daughter's high school graduation.



Can I say it again?
WE. DID. IT.
Yay!

And now that I've put my daughter on an airplane for her three week theater internship in Northern Michigan; picked my son up from his summer tennis lesson; and done a fairly good job of re-assembling the house after hosting family and celebrating my daughter (I just found another M&M on the floor from the candy station), I'm back here.
With you.
Hopefully for good now.
Oh, how I've missed this place.

It's interesting the things we tell our graduates in a last ditch effort to inspire them and guide them toward the right path as they ready themselves to embark upon the journey of life. Truly.  
I've reveled in listening as people I love and admire have shared their perspectives and advice with Colleen.  
And I've enjoyed reading the sentiments - how different...how varied! - of the cards that individuals choose to speak to what's most important in their lives.  
So as I begin again in my sacred space here, please enjoy a few of my favorites.
They affected me, even as I too begin a new chapter...of letting go.
I hope they find you and fill you today as well.

Thoughts & images that spoke to me:

"Dance to the music of your dreams.  
The steps will bring you JOY."
(probably my fave...of course, chosen by my friend, Miley)


"All our dreams can come true if we
have the courage to pursue them." 
- Walt Disney

"Your graduation is a celebration 
of all that you've learned, 
all that you've accomplished, 
& ALL THAT IS NOW POSSIBLE."


"Dreams are the touchstones of our character." 
- Henry David Thoreau

"Whatever you can do, 
or dream you can, begin it.  
Boldness has genius, power & magic in it." 
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe


"Happiness is a butterfly, which, 
when pursued, is always just 
beyond your grasp, but which, 
if you will sit down quietly, 
may alight upon you."  - Hawthorne


"For every ending, there's a new beginning.
For every dream achieved, 
there's a memory to hold it.
For every challenge conquered, 
there's a new one to embrace."


Thoughts from the grandmas:


"There wouldn't be a Heaven full of stars 
if we were all meant to wish on the same one."
(Drew's mom, Grandma Diane)


"The future doesn't lie ahead of you, waiting to happen - 
It lies deep inside of you, waiting to be discovered."
(My mom, Grandma Theresa...
or as the girl cousins like to call her "Drams")

Prayers to be remembered as we consider our paths:


"Show me Your ways, O Lord;
teach me Your paths." - Psalm 25:4



"May you receive a lifetime of blessings because God is a giver.
May you have the faith for new adventures because God is an encourager.
May you grow strong in character because God is your helper.
May you bring joy to others because God is your song.
May you know constant fulfillment because God is your life."


"God has a special purpose for each one of us.  
As we seek Him, we discover His way is always perfect...
His plans are always best." 
(And then one of my faves inside...)
"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." - Proverbs 16:3 NIV


"Dream big....follow your heart." 
(then part of the inscription inside...)
"...now step forward with wide open arms, eyes & heart."

(The final two were from my sisters, Christine and Theresa and their husbands, Jeff & Curt...all who made the trip to celebrate my girl.  Thanks y'all...we're so blessed and humbled by your love and grace.)

Lastly, words of advice from my sister, Margaret, who was unable to travel out to celebrate with us, but who, as always, was so generous with her creativity, resources and thoughtfulness.  Thanks Marg...

"Treat the people who have loved you and supported you all your life with special care.  
They are the ones who see you with all of your gifts and all of your flaws and love you completely...it's so easy to take them for granted because they love you unconditionally...
that's the best reason to keep them closest to you.

Don't take everything so seriously.  
Emerson wasn't kidding when he penned "life is a journey, not a destination."
Take time to be...and live...in the moment.  
How sad not to enjoy every second in your upcoming adventure.

I'm so proud of you.  
Watching you grow into this beautiful, brilliant, kind young woman has been a joy..."


Yeah, what she said.








No comments:

Post a Comment