Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Garbage In, Garbage Out

You know that old maxim?
Whatever you sow, you reap.
Whatever you focus on will increase.

"...for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap... the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." - Galatians 6: 7b, 8b
(Note to self:  Sow to the Spirit.  Sow. To. The. Spirit!!!!!!)

Whatever you put in this earthly vessel is what is produced by it.
Be it the eyes, ears, mind, mouth...
If you put in good and healthy things, good and healthy things will be multiplied, regurgitated, shared with others.
Conversely....


Yep, you guessed it!
If you put in garbage?
Garbage comes out.
(It's all very visual, isn't it?)

Though that last bit is derived from an old computer programming reference - that computers will process the most nonsensical of input data without questioning it (garbage in) thus producing nonsensical output (garbage out) -  it has come to have a double meaning in recent years.
Garbage into my mind, eyes & ears will most probably mean garbage back out to the world.

Anyway, what am I talking about?
And why?!?

It struck me the other day as I was reflecting back on these past months, that, though I still felt connected to my Father in Heaven, since I was not writing regularly or posting to my blog, there was a bit of a distance.  
It wasn't that I was ignoring Him.  
It wasn't that I wasn't speaking to Him.  
It wasn't that I wasn't aware of Him.  
It was just that it was sporadic...early mornings when I got up to greet Him and the day...times when I needed a conversation or a fresh perspective...and of course, those times when I called His name to give me the words, the attitude, the help.

But as I began again to look around me these past few days, gaining clarity on which topics I would share and the obvious or strange places He oft reveals Himself, it struck me.
Struck me HARD.
A scary truth.

If I don't have an expectation of where I'll find Him, 
I stop looking for Him.
If I don't have an expectation that I'll need to share His message, 
I cease looking for It.

Thud.
(That was the truth hitting me hard, in case you were wondering.)

So as I embark upon this day, this new season, I acknowledge the need to do so with Him ever in my mind...ever in my heart....ever on my lips...ever along my steps.
I do so with the thought that every moment I see Him, hear Him, love Him, 
- search for Him -
I'll be able to put that many more moments back out into the world.

Garbage in, garbage out?
Ouch, yes, it will happen if we're not careful.
Spirit in, Spirit out?
Yes, Lord, thank You, for making this my prayer.


Q: What are the good things you are "sowing" these days? Share here in the comments or on my FB page.  Would love to hear!  (More "good things" in...yay!)




{Thanks for reading.}


Image credit:  Microsoft Word clipart

No comments:

Post a Comment