Monday, December 9, 2013

An Emmy Win for God...Part II

(Thank you all for waiting for Part II of this story while my computer has been in the shop with a virus...aka, the devil trying to distract me from writing.  I hope your Thanksgiving weekend was amazing and that your Advent seasons are focused on Him.)


I started Part I of this thread speculating as to the reasons why NBC's "The Voice" won the Emmy award for Outstanding Reality Competition Program in 2013, beating "The Amazing Race" who had won it 9 out of 10 times previously.  I theorized that it was because it's producer, Mark Burnett, in addition to creating this reality TV show, also listened to God's beckoning to create the mini-series, "The Bible," instead of listening to the inner voice telling him he wasn't right for the project, thus fulfilling a God-sized dream and reaching millions with His word.  (Click here if you want to catch up on the rest of the post.)  The reward?  Abundant grace and success.

Isn't it strange to think that we can so vehemently deny our capabilities in moments when God is so clearly pointing the way ahead for us?
I am frequently guilty of this.

I have been thinking, for the past few weeks, of my God-sized dream in process. 
Because the work is not in my hands right now, but that of the designers, I feel distant from it. 
And because my crowdfund campaign, which was richly successful on a personal level because of the grace I found in community, but was less successful on a financial basis, I will admit I've felt worried.
My thoughts race along...
"Christmas is coming and with it the gifts, the meals and the plane fare."
"Colleen embarks upon her college career in just a few short months."
"My work at Disney is snail-slow right now."

Where EVER am I going to get the additional  $13,000+ needed to produce it?

As I watched episode #1 of "The Bible" two nights ago, I was coming off of a day where I was actually trying to talk myself off the ledge of doubt.
The quinoa was simmering on the stovetop, and I was sautéing onions, squash, and peppers.
"The Bible" was thundering in the background.
Colleen came in from her workout, and we sat in the den together, watching the mini-series and eating our dinner.

Then came the part with Abraham and Isaac on the mountain.
Remember?
God tests Abraham's faith by asking him to sacrifice Isaac on an altar built to Him.

"9 Then they came to the place of which God had told him; and Abraham built the altar there and arranged the wood, and bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 12 He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you [b]fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” - Genesis 22:9-12

Mark Burnett produced this moment in biblical history so poignantly.  It was shot partially from Abraham's wife, Sarah's, point of view.  I connected so profoundly with the horror she felt once she realized Abraham had brought no animal sacrifice with him to offer on the mountain.  When she realized that her son was to be proffered.  She and Abraham had waited such a long time for this blessing, and it was to be taken away.

Colleen and I settled into our bowls of grain while watching the scene play out, and Colleen said, "This is disturbing."  I nodded and said, "This was one of the scripture verses that I would listen to when I was growing up and think, 'Boy, God is kind of twisted.  This doesn't seem at all fair.'"  Yikes....

And could I do it?
Could I take one of my babies up on a mountain with the sure knowledge that they wouldn't come back down with me?
That God is and should be BIGGER THAN EVERYTHING in my life?

But as I watched Abraham sorrowfully follow His bidding, I realized all my Father wants is for me to put Him above all else.
Above the fear and the doubt...
Above the pride and the conceit...
Above my plans and my assumptions...
Yes, above my family, my nearest & dearest.
Then He'll take care of the rest.

He needs to know that above all else, I trust Him.
I love Him.
I honor Him.
I obey Him.
No matter the direction or the cost of what I may think is a crazy plan or an impossible dream.
That, dear friends, is a small price to pay...
Faith in the un-seeable...
For His greatest abundance in our lives.



{Thanks for praying along with me
for my God-sized dream
that has been thrown a curveball. 
As I read over this post, I know the hitch
is simply an opportunity to trust Him more. 
Thank you, Jesus, for childlike faith.
And thanks to all of you for reading.}
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment