Wednesday, November 6, 2013

No Man is an Island ( No Woman Either! )


Today I'd like to go live on an island.

On an island of people who are "like" me.
People who understand why I'm loud and are equally dramatic expressive.
The ones who think my laugh - okay, okay, guffaw - is charming, not obnoxious.
An island of people who live large and uninhibited and free.
An island of people....
(Well, let's just call a spade "a spade" here...I'm really inferring "an island of Irish-Italians")
...who don't need to understand every motive, tone (or lack thereof), or observation to cut me some slack and just ACCEPT ME AS I AM!!!!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Now, onto my point....

Although I know this island would be more on the order of "the island of misfit toys" from TVs beloved Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, sometimes I still long for it.I long for feeling like I fit.  Like my personality is one that belongs rather than one that needs work.  Like I can say anything I want at anytime and know that, just because I'm surrounded by my contemporaries, I won't have to explain.  Or apologize.
Like I'm "finished" rather than the work in progress I know down deep that I am.

Isn't it funny how God puts people in our lives who push us?
Question us?
Disagree with us?
Make us work to be better?
(Well, I'll admit, today it doesn't feel funny...it just feels exhausting.  But you get my drift.)

In the final analysis, I have to remember that God NEVER, EVER gives us what we don't need.  EVER.
Especially the people whom we need.
Because He sees what we cannot.
He sees that those very people may be working in us as a metallurgist works on a piece of iron to forge it into steel. 
Working out the impurities. 
Casting it in the hottest fire to make it stronger. 
Shaping the raw into the refined.

No, I won't find my best self on that island, I know.
It may assuage my momentary frustrations.
But it won't do that which He knows (and I'll admit, I know) needs doing.

"I will bring the one third through fire, and I will refine them as silver is refined, and I will test them as gold is tested.  They shall call upon my name, and I will hear them.  I will say 'They are my people,' and they shall say, 'The Lord is my God.'" - Zechariah 13:9 (NAB)

Lord, help this woman remember she is not an island unto herself...
She is part of the main.
She can walk through the fire and come out stronger.
More refined than raw.
Closer to the purest Image...
That of You.





No comments:

Post a Comment