Tuesday, August 13, 2013

If It's Good Enough for Abraham...

It is said that the smallest action brings about an infinite number of re-actions. 

Prompted by one of the Scripture readings from this past Sunday, I wondered, "What if Abraham had not faith?" 
Every single thing as we know it today might be utterly and completely different.  So based on that Q&A, I asked myself the ultimate tough question...

"If Abraham could hang on to his faith through travel in the desert
for what must have seemed like a million years -
for all of the promises God told him he and his descendants would receive -
despite the one unanswered plea he made to God over and over and over...
the plea for a child...
until he was 100 years old -
and so, by his patiently awaiting the son Sarah bore him, abundantly bless his generations and generations of descendants....
it begs the question.

"What will my generations and generations of descendants miss out on if I'm too impatient to wait for God's richest blessings, sure to be rained on me?"

I'm not 100...I'm only 44. 
What waiting can I not endure?
I'm just sayin'.



Postscript the following morning after writing this: 
My daily devotional entry for August 14th, entitled "Keep Trusting," began with Deuteronomy 29:29. "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our grandchildren forever, that we may follow all of the words of this law."  Wow. Yep.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, Abraham was also human (as was Sarah) and he didn't always wait patiently. He tried to make it happen in HIS time. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have had Ishmael. Which makes me feel comforted, because God still blessed him, despite Abraham's occasional struggles with faith and patience. God knows our human hearts and human flaws - in fact, he made us this way. And the waiting is part of the lesson. (As is the messing up with the waiting - LOL). :-)

    ReplyDelete