Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mama's Day

Almost 17 years ago, the week before my wedding,
my dad and I were having a bit of a disagreement.
"You'll never get through it without crying," Daddy was saying.
"I will so," I retorted.
I knew later he was just trying to get my goat;
to tick me off just enough so that I would have to prove I was capable.
Boy, that dude knew me too well.

He was referring, of course, to the fact that, despite Mama's belief that my sister, Margaret, would be singing the mother's song as our moms walked down the aisle at my wedding, I was surprising my mother and singing it myself. 
I knew Margaret would do a beautiful job singing "Mama, A Rainbow." 
Only, I wanted to sing it as my gift to Mama...
that last love letter to her before I became - officially - a married woman and could no longer consider myself her little girl.

Turns out, Daddy and I were both right.
I got through the song unscathed until the final note. 
Then my voice cracked with all of the emotion that a little girl feels when she has to say goodbye to the woman who has done everything for her since the day she was born...
Fed and bathed, dressed and cared for her;
Taught and paid for, sung to and held;
Listened and laughed and loved and sacrificed for.

So on this Mother's Day, I want to mail this repeat little love letter to my mom, to recognize her for all of her beautiful gifts she's shared throughout my entire life.

I love you, Mama...


(Mama and her five girls, Christmas 2011) 


MAMA, A RAINBOW
from "Minnie's Girls"
 
"What do you give to the lady who has given all her life and love to you?
What do you give to the reason you are livin'?
I could window shop the world before I'm through.

Mama, a rainbow.
Mama, a sunrise.
Mama, the moon to wear.
That's not good enough; no not good enough...not for Mama.

Mama, a palace...diamonds like doorknobs....mountains of gold to spare.
That's not rich enough; no, not rich enough.
Not for Mama.
Mama, a lifetime crowded with laughter.
That's not long enough...not half long enough.

What can I give you?  That I can give you?  What will your present be?
Mama, young and beautiful...always young and beautiful...
That's the Mama I'll always see.

That's for Mama with love from me."


{Happy Mother's Day to every mother visiting here.
I hope your day is filled with joy, peace, laughter & rest.
Thanks for reading.}

No comments:

Post a Comment