Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Finish

My heart and prayers are in Boston today, along with so many others around the world.
Of course, my sorrow for these innocents is no deeper than anyone else's.
But still it is a poignant sorrow, born of years and years living with a marathoner.

There but by the grace of God go we.

I see vividly in my mind's eye image after image.
My husband crossing the finish line time after time, diligently working to complete the race, years spent trying to beat his personal best.
My children and I standing near the finish line or along the route, cheering him on, rejoicing in his victory.
The years of training...time away...dedication...focus...support (and I'm embarassed to admit, frustration with the time it has taken)...pain born of fatigue and pushing beyond the limits of one's body and mind.
Then yesterday, a day starting clear and whole, ending in tragedy.

I can't begin to imagine.

Though I cannot pretend to understand
the meaning,
the heartache,
the emotional and physical pain,
the taint,
I pray and am able to see out of the darkness.

I see people running toward the chaos, willing and wanting to help.
I see runners, already 26.2 miles down, heading straight to the hospital to give blood for those in need.
I see emergency responders, firemen, paramedics, support staff, and volunteers
bringing aid...
bringing relief...
bringing comfort...
bringing help.
I see hundreds and thousands of posts of prayer for those affected.
I see the good born of tragedy.

It calls to mind a favorite scripture verse I often share with Drew, or pray for him, the night before a marathon:

"And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." - Hebrews 12:2-3

I don't know or understand the meaning of Boston's tragedy.
But I do know that God will walk beside each person through it all.
So that they do not grow weary or lose heart.
So they will continue to run with endurance the race He has marked.


- Deep in prayer with each of you and
millions around the world who are
supporting our Boston brethren.
Thank you for reading.
Thank you for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment