Friday, March 1, 2013

Do Nothing

I was raised to always do something.

Do the dishes.
Do the laundry.
Do your homework.
Do your hair.
Do your part to help.

(Zip-a-dee-do-dah!)

I was so well-trained in doing that I continued it into adulthood.

Do your job.
Do your taxes.
Let's do lunch!
Do for the needy.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

(Camptown Races, sing a song!  Doo-dah, doo-dah!)

I was very appreciative that I had been raised with this work ethic. 
As were the people I worked with...and for...and beside...and near...
In fact, I'm sure there were occasions when my consummate practice of doing got me the job.

That girl's a worker!
She a do-er.
She's a mover and a shaker.
HIRE THAT GIRL!

Every day I would get up, amidst the morning dew, and do even when nothing was due.
(Isn't that what I was supposed to do?!?)
Only to find myself, after years and years, finally, totally, and completely... 

...in a gigantic pile of doo-doo.

Not only did I not want to do.
I actually couldn't do.
Consequently all that I accomplished each day, which even in its simplicity seemed too daunting, was pull the covers up over my head and its' undone 'do.
I. Was. Done.

("Now what should I do?!?" I thought.)

Imagine my surprise, then, when day after day, I was content with my decision to:
Do nothing.
Well, first I went to the doctor so I could get better, and then I did nothing.
Each morning the sun rose in the East and set in the West, with me continuing on this path.
I did nothing.
Nothing.
At least that's what it looked like from the outside.

Because on the inside, He was doing something.
He was working harder than He ever had to for me, in me.
He was doing for the needy.
He was doing unto this "other" as He would have me do unto...uh, well...Him.  (And the least of my brothers.)

The funny thing was that once I got past my feelings of guilt over my "nuthin' doing,"
it was the best thing I ever did! 
Because there, in all of my moments of sitting and quiet,
ruminating and contemplating,
listening and loving and meditating and thanking,
I got to be with Him
Only Him. 
Day in and day out. 
He & I. 
Me & Him. 
Doing nothing - but everything - together.

It's been a few years since my pile of doo-doo.
Today I was in a race to the finish of a busy morning of going and achieving and working and shepherding and calling and asking and answering and moving and LIFE...
When I heard it.
"Do nothing."
Oops!
I hadn't done nothing yet today.
So I sat in my chair, pulled up my window shade and gazed at my magnolia tree.
Quiet.
Listening.
Loving.
Praying.
Reading.
Thanking.
Together with Him.
Until I was ready to do life again.

Now that's how you get things done!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment