Thursday, December 13, 2012

Jesus & Cheese

I love my friends.
And not just because they love cheese as much as I do...but partly.

I shopped at Lazy Acres on Tuesday for some gourmet treats to serve that evening...
prosciutto wrapped Asian pears...
dried apricots and maple spiced pecans...
caramel & nut blanketed Fuji apples...
& CHEESE.
Brie...
Manchego...
Medium Cheddar...
Havarti....

CANNOT. TAKE. IT.

Luckily my girlfriends feel the same way.  We talked about life and work and Christmas and family for a while.  We ate cheese.  We laughed.  We drank sparkling water, drank wine.  So comfortable.  Like having home wrapped all around you, the familiarity seeping into your pores.  Such friends

(You know they're true blue when you say, "Whoops, that's a text from Braden.  He needs a ride home from the nursing home where he's been carolling.  Drew's working late.  Please tell anyone who comes while I'm gone that I said 'Welcome,' pour them a glass of wine, and I'll be back in a few." - and they laugh and say, "Okay, drive safely" as you leave your own home, in the middle of your own soiree to take care of your family, knowing your other family will look after each other.  Such friends.)

Once I was back home and we were all present, I asked to say a prayer, knowing our evening had been abundantly blessed.
We joined hands, and I prayed.
For us.
Our families.
The coming of the Christ child.
For the opening of our hearts to the significance that He was born as a helpless infant, humble and needy as we are each day.
For our blessings and our trials, our joys and our challenges, and everything we experience that is a reminder of how we can lean on Him in praise and thanksgiving, sorrow and hardship, grateful that He is there for us every moment, every day.
Finally, I prayed...

"And thank You for the de-lon-cious CHEESE!  Amen!"

My friend, Kate, laughingly said, "Jesus & Cheese."
And I said, "Yay, the title of my next blog."

So here it is:  Jesus & Cheese.
An intention of eight girlfriends to assemble as women in Christ, giving of ourselves for another during this season of Advent.

 

 
 
 
 




Together we wrote 23 letters to a friend in need.  Someone we've never met.  But someone who needs us. Needs words of abundance.  Needs words of blessing.
 

The website moreloveletters is dedicated to sharing encouragement and hope to people who are suffering.  I signed up to sponsor a "love letter bundle" in support of this effort after reading about it from a blogger on "incourage." 

(See my invitation verse here for the evening's theme.  Click on Nov/Dec issue and scroll to page 3.) 

Thankfully, my friends are women with hearts open and ready to share words of reassurance...
inspiration...
cheer...
help & hope.

The greatest cheerleaders around!

So as Advent winds on, I reflect on how grateful I am for my life, my friends, my family...
our desire to give and help...
and of course, for that which brings us together...

Jesus & cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment