Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fish or Cut Bait, Part I

Boy, have I had fish on the brain lately in oh, so many ways.  It started last week.

Drew was on the pier cleaning fish.  With a knife, gutting them.  Insides and entrails spilling over onto the wooden slats.  Messy stuff.  I was standing over him exclaiming, "That is so gross!" 

That was Drew's dream as he recalled it last week, which is of significance only because he NEVER remembers his dreams.  We laugh about it sometimes because I will wake in the morning - maybe seven out of ten mornings - and say, "I had the weirdest dream last night."  Then I will proceed to describe in minute detail the setting, characters, wardrobe, event...everything. 

He always remarks, "How do you remember your dreams?  Especially in detail like that?  I never remember mine."

So when he finally described one to me - something I could really sink my teeth into - while we ran errands, Christmas shopping and the like, I went to work doing research on the meaning. 
I find the subconscious fascinating. 
How our thoughts and fears, anxieties and goals, can reveal themselves in such a concrete yet elusive way. 
This brain God created is so awesome.
An infinite mystery...a maze of complexity...a miracle.

Funny, though, when I went to various websites about dream interpretations, there were such a myriad of explanations about fish.  What you do with them:
Eating fish (spirituality, food for the soul)
Swimming in a fish tank (detached from society, feeling judged)
Swimming with the fish in the ocean (acquiring wealth & status)
Dead fish (fear of disappointment)
Going fishing (confronting and bringing repressed emotions to the surface)
Fish in general (fertility, pregnancy)

There are fish associated with good feelings and events:
Octopi, Dolphins, Salmon, Whales, Goldfish, Koi, Lobster

There are fish ominous in their meaning:
Jellyfish, Sharks, Oysters, Squid, Orca, Eels, Leeches

I finally came across a meaning for cleaning fish:
"To dream that you are cleaning fish suggests that you are altering your emotional expression in a way that will be presentable to others. You are censoring yourself and not expressing how you completely feel."

Wahn, wahn, wahn...
I read this to Drew and said, "Should I be concerned that you may not only be censoring yourself and repressing your true feelings, but that you dreamed that I'm standing over you saying, 'That is so gross!'?"

He laughed and said, "We're good, babe."  Argh...praying so!

But the element that I found most interesting in my research was one that appeared over and over in every website, every article, every faction of meaning...
Christ is centered in the meaning of dreams of fish.

Fish on the brain, I tell ya'.  More tomorrow on my clear message, clear direction for these Advent posts.



{Photo courtesy of Fotolia, Microsoft Images partner}

No comments:

Post a Comment