Saturday, November 17, 2012

Decorating for a Better World?

Sometimes I can't believe how blessed I am...

Today the "Movement for a Better World" organization at our church kicks off their "Adopt a Family" for the holidays.
We join together for fellowship and prayer before heading out to bring boxes of food and blankets to a family in need for Thanksgiving.
 
One of my jobs for this effort? 
Decorating for all of the volunteers who so generously give of their time to those less fortunate. 
I'm astounded I get to serve in this way....





 


 









 











I used to think that this skill (as my sister, Margaret, wrote in her wedding thank you to me, "one of your many callings") was a bit frivolous...that I couldn't exactly label it a "calling."  But as I'm beginning to witness, the more I am asked to do it, the more it makes sense that it is a given gift...
it isn't something to be embarrassed about...
it truly is something that speaks to and serves others. 
I love looking at the faces of the people who approach something that I've built, so second nature to me, and how it brings them joy...especially on a very early Saturday morning!

So as we partake of a doughnut, some coffee & fellowship on this blustery autumn day,
I thank You, God, for this gift...
this calling...
this opportunity to serve and bring joy to others.
Thank You for the beauty you've created all around us.
Thank You for showing me that it's a gift to share it.

"God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good." - Genesis 1:31a

No comments:

Post a Comment