Monday, October 8, 2012

Lessons in Cotton

Today's blog post is a rundown  of some of the T-shirt slogans on display at this weekend's marathon.  I snapped quick pics of the ones that really made me and Drew laugh... 


"If found on ground, please drag across finish line..."
  
 
"Running is cheaper than therapy..."
 
  
"Does this shirt make my butt look fast?"
(This one resonated with me especially!
  
 
"Dear God, Please let there be someone behind me to read this..."
 
 
"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin..."
 

 
"This isn't sweat...it's liquid awesome!"

While we were sharing some chuckles over these
(and others not appropriate to share here),
it dawned on me that some of these marathon slogans
applied to the race of life as well.

How many times have I lost "liquid awesome" while meeting a deadline?
Worrying over a sick child?
Wondering where my next job was coming from?

How many times have I been so far behind in my goals,
my behavior,
my spirituality
that I (selfishly!) prayed that someone would be JUST ONE STEP behind?
Someone??
Anyone?!?
 
And how many times have I collapsed
in despair
or
defeat
or
sheer exhaustion
and hoped upon hoped that someone would just
drag my sorry butt across life's finish line?
Heeeellllpppppp!!!!!

But the last shirt that Drew and I read and snapped, reminded me the most of the
daily struggles down the roads we walk...
 


"There will come a day when I cannot do this.
TODAY is not that day."


It served also as a reminder that even when we feel as though we cannot take another step...
Cannot climb another hill...
Cannot "do this" (whatever "this" is for each of us) any longer...
With God at our side, not only will TODAY not be that day...
 
...that day will NEVER come.
 

2 comments:

  1. C! This is perfect for me today. Perfect for my husband today. Thank you for some more simple, profound truth. Amen! TODAY is not that day!
    ... p.s. I love when my butt looks fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nico! So happy this silly little post spoke to you and Ben. I love when God tickles my funny bone with something that becomes a profound message...He knows me so well! Love you...and yes, your butt always looks fast in your T-shirt!

      Delete