Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Encouragement

We have lived in our house for eleven years now and have a wonderful community of families here with whom we have been privileged to befriend and share life.  Our next door neighbors have been the most special part of this equation for us.  Our kids have grown up together...their girls, one in college and the other a Senior in high school have shared swimming, water polo and friendships with our daughter.  Sleepovers, babysitting, dinner together, both at home and out of the house have been things we have all enjoyed together.  Most frequently, though, we share a common back wall where we borrow eggs and sugar, taste each other's dinner samples, pass over smoothies and books and words and news, using that brick and mortar to keep each other appraised of one another's lives.

Last week the daddy was sick, the mama, tired, and the girls were overwhelmed.  Things were a bit chaotic.  Riley came to sleep over while her parents spent some time figuring out the course.  We love having Riley here.  She is a light in the dark.  She is cheer personified.

I was deep in prayer all evening and into the night then again when I woke up this morning. 
I prayed for healing for him. 
Strength for my dear friend. 
Peace for the girls. 
I added all of these intentions to my prayer box.
I prayed that God show me what I could do to help.

We all visited into the night then the girls went to bed, arising early to get ready for school.  We talked and laughed as they ate breakfast, brushed hair, put on makeup...you know the drill.  I sat in my familiar morning spot and settled down for a moment to read.  Riley was standing in front of me when I looked up suddenly at her to share.  "Listen to the first line of my daily reading this morning," I said.

"Love does no harm to its neighbor."

"Uh-uh!" she said and as Colleen entered the room, Riley hollered, "Listen to this Coll!"  I reread it, and we all just looked at each other with our mouths open.  I continued, "Therefore, love is the fulfillment of the law." 

The last line continued, "Your responsibility is to remain calm and peaceable even when those around you are not."

The message was clear. 
Though chaos abounded, we were to stay calm, trust, and rest in the knowledge that there is a path and a plan. 
We were supposed to remain at peace knowing He's got it.

Riley said, "That seems like such a great book.  What is it?"
"Your Best Life Begins each Morning," I replied.
"That's neat," she said.

So tomorrow I'm headed to Target to pick up a copy for her. 
One little thing He's encouraging me to do for her during this time. 
Thank You, Jesus, for the guidance and for taking care of this special family.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment