Thursday, September 6, 2012

When It's Okay to Show Off

There are two unrelated facts you must know in order for this post to make sense:

1.  Since my dad's passing in May, the Scripture verse that I most associate him with is "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."  Long story that I don't have room for...you just need to know that fact.  And don't ask me the chapter or verse...I'm terrible at remembering them.

2.  There is a line from the movie, "Bruce Almighty," that my husband and I love.  At the end of the movie, when Bruce wakes up in the hospital after what should have been a fatal accident - he was hit by a semi-truck after all - he finds his estranged girlfriend beside him, his earthly worries and problems resolved and in his hand, a bracelet of prayer beads.  What is remarkable about the bracelet is that he had thrown it away early in the movie when he was terribly down on his luck.  So to have the beads again, a gift from Grace, his girlfriend, was the final miracle.  He looks up to Heaven and whispers, "Well, now you're just showin' off."

I mentioned in my blog yesterday that the kids went back to school after a wonderful summer together.  I was sorry to see them go...truly.  I wasn't ready to be alone in the house again.  To be frank, part of me was a bit concerned about not having the kids around the house as a distraction for my intermittent grief.  Their joy has really alleviated much of this for me.

But I decided to not dwell and just do my thang.

I read a lovely devotional entry from Sarah Young about God being our King but also our friend, walking down the road of our lives with us.  I grabbed my bible to look up the corresponding Scripture verses. 
The first was John 15:13-15. 
My bible fell open to this...

Daddy still talking to me in my need...

 
There tucked in the pages of John (Daddy's favorite gospel)
was the picture of Daddy I pull out each morning, kiss,
then say, "Good morning, Daddy.
But I never realized his picture was on the very page of "his" verse.
John 15:13-15 read in part,
"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."   
I burst out laughing - and crying - at the same time
(it's amazing that those can be simultaneous),
looked up and said aloud, "Now you're just showin' off!"

So when is it okay to show off?

When you're the Creator of the Universe...
When His servant needs Him to illustrate that
He is in charge of every moment...
Every need...
Every calling...
Every question...
Every longing.

I long for that kind of showing off every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment