Thursday, September 6, 2012

Airing Dirty Laundry

I got my kids off to their first day of school today.  In the wake of a new season, this was what greeted me as I kissed the last head going out the door...


I guess if I don't organize the Tupperware, it doesn't get done!

This was actually after I had done half of them
& stopped to fix a lunch...
nice half eaten banana hanging over the side of the sink. :)

One load in the washer...one load here...three more after that!
Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

I'd like to officially announce the bane of my existence...paperwork!!! 
This is two days worth of mail. 
You can't see the other three stacks I still have to finish. 
And that's my half-started grocery list on the left, by the way. 
Gotta fit shopping in today too.

Even my desk needs attention today!

Have I mentioned that I am Italian and cherish order?
That I compulsively love to organize and clean?
That just the other day, I was at my mother-in-law's house and had to turn the toilet paper in the opposite direction
(the "right" way, paper coming over the roll,
not behind it)
or else I couldn't move ahead with my day?

So you can imagine what I did when the kids left...
Or can you?



Vanilla & cinnamon & mocha...
mmmmm!

Lit and shining on one of my favorite gifts...
a beautiful, wooden plate brought back to
my husband and me from the Holy Land.
 
 
Steaming Starbucks Cafe Verona dark with sweet Italian creamer...

Where I spend most of my time
Writing...
Praying...
Imagining...
Communing...

With my favorite pillow, throw, devotionals & Word

 
I lit candles...
Made a cup of coffee in my favorite mug, a gift from my beautiful sister, Christine...
Pulled out my favorite, cozy orange blanket
(even though it's supposed to be in the 80's today,
it was raining when the kids left)
and my daily devotionals
(which I had already read but hadn't absorbed
in the hullabaloo of first day of school rushing and anxiety)...
And I accepted His invitation to spend time together.

You see, I knew if I plunged into my day to simply eradicate the chaos,
I would be plagued by a different kind of mess all day.
The mess of doing it alone.
The mess of depending only on myself.
The mess of impatience and complaint and thanklessness.

So instead I looked to my right when I sat, noticed these words...



Peace...
Serenity...
Calm...


...and I knew I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment