Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Kick off the Pew

For newer readers or to refresh the memories of those who may have read this very early on in my blogging efforts, I told of my father's prayer that he would preach from the pulpit.  He would tell the congregation, "And I pray to God for an answer and say, 'Lord, you better make it clear.  You've got to kick me off of the pew with your answer.  Otherwise, I'll probably be too dense to get it.'"  I've always loved that sentiment.  How many times do we ask for an answer to a prayer only to be too obtuse, self-involved or - yep, I'll say it - dimwitted to see it?!?

I was encouraged and inspired by a story I heard from my friend this week who told me of a conversation with an old friend of hers who had been really sick - like death's door sick.  And though he had recovered, he took away an invaluable lesson.  He advised her to not wait to live life.  So she said to me, "I'm not waiting anymore, C. I'm living life now. I'm going for it." In light of my recent loss, this truly resonated with me.

Saturday night my husband and I went for a little sail at sunset around Alamitos Bay...one of my favorite places on Earth.  As we rocked along in the water, me successfully driving for a change (except when I caught someone's fishing line and started dragging their pole along with me...oops!), I told Drew about a prayer I had been praying this past week.  Since I'm an idiot, sometimes, and still don't know if what I'm praying for is the right thing, I added with it a prayer for direction.  (Something akin to, "Lord, I'm praying this big, bold prayer because I think it's what you want for me, but if it's not, you'll have to knock me off my chair with an answer.  Otherwise I'll be too dense to get it.") I had been answered in the affirmative through a poignant devotional the morning after my prayer.  But before I had a chance to fill Drew in on this part of the story, in big, bold, black letters on the boat beside me shouted this message...




Hilarious!!!!  Boy, God, either you REALLY think I'm dense or you REALLY want to bless me with an answer to my prayer.  (I'd greatly appreciate it if none of you answered that statement mentally or in print!)  Oh, how awesome and mischievous is He.  (I gotta think amongst the colors and brilliance and peace of Heaven, there is a ton of laughter.  Because my answers are so often rooted in humor.  Love it!)

So I ain't waiting....
Nope....
Not waiting anymore....
I'm going for it!

How about you?

2 comments: