Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Love Men

I'll just say it...not ashamed to admit it. 
I love men. 

For probably the first 25 years of my life, I had more male friends than female.  And before you really go there mentally, no, it's not what you're thinking...not a physical thing.  I just always felt I better related to men.  This is probably because my most prevalent character traits were generally considered more male than female.  I always tended to be...

Assertive
Forthright
Stubborn
Confrontational

In a nutshell, willing to tell it like it is without beating around the bush
These qualities are not often considered terribly effeminate..wanh, wanh, wanh.

I've softened many of these behaviors in the past fifteen years.  And since men don't usually cry at Hallmark commercials, I can officially say I am more feminine than masculine.  But still, every now and then, I hear something that a man says and my love for the opposite sex is invigorated all over again.

Case in point, my husband's comment yesterday....

Drew was getting ready for church after a 16 mile run (I would be in traction), and he said to me, "You wonder sometimes why it is I love sports so much.  Well, today Ernie Els won the British Open after years of not doing very well (in the sport).  They did a piece on him and the fact that he found out in recent years his son is autistic, so he had been focusing on him.  (His game suffered because of it.)  Then he surprised everyone, beat the odds and won on the final green."  (He sank a 15 footer for birdie on the final green.  The part Drew loves, I think, is the underdog with the relatable, heartbreaking backstory, pulling up from behind for the incredible win...against all odds!)

But Drew's next comment was the one that I loved.  Concise, no sugar coating, understated to a fault, as only a man can articulate; but clear, heartfelt, and laden with layers and layers of meaning unspoken:

"God's a good guy."

I laughed for several minutes after he said this.  That laugh that my kids tease me about and is so reminiscent of my dad.  The silent wheeze that lasts for the first few moments as I get red in the face and then explodes into a series of hearty "heh, heh, heh"s before catching my breath for the next round.  I LOVED that statement!

Leave it to a man - especially my wonderful engineer - to button up a sentiment so succinctly. 

"God's a good guy."  

Such power behind its minimalism.
Such acknowledgement.
Such love and honor.
Such praise.
Such glory.
Such acclaim.

No flowery statements or sentiments.
No idioms, turns of phrase, figures of speech.
Just fact.
Just credit.
Just tribute.

From a guy who God made good.
From a man who clearly lives in the image of his "good guy."
From one "good guy" to another.
Thank you, God, for blessing me with my husband...
You are a Good Guy!
 

Postscript:
Read more here from Ed Osmond's interview with Ernie Els about his son, Ben:

"The former world number one said he took inspiration from his autistic nine-year-old son Ben and the "Els for Autism" Foundation he has set up.

"Coming out publicly quite a few years now ago with Ben and the autism, it took a lot of work to get the foundation set up, the right people and our mission statement," he said.

Els said he felt more settled now the foundation was running smoothly.

"I think emotionally or mentally I'm also in a better place than I have been in the last couple of years with the whole situation," he said.

Ben loves watching his dad hitting golf balls.

"I made a lot of putts today with Ben in mind because I know Ben's watching," Els said. "He loves it when I hit golf balls. He's always there. He comes with me. He loves the flight of the ball and the sound.

"I know he was watching today and I was trying to keep him because he gets really excited. I wanted to keep him excited today, so I made a lot of putts for him today."

No comments:

Post a Comment