Friday, May 11, 2012

The 1000 Moms Project

In honor of  mothers everywhere, but especially my mother, I am writing my blog today for the 1000 Moms Project.  For every public word and sentiment written about mothers on blogs, Facebook, Twitter, posts everywhere, a much needed gift will be given to a mother and her baby in Haiti.  Oh, the generosity of the family who is hosting this invitation. 

Actually, the task is to share the most important gift my mother gave me.  But I don't think I can relegate all of my gratitude for the gifts she has given to only one thing.  So instead I will honor Mama with these words...

Thank you for the gift of...

My voice
The white meat chicken even though you didn't like the dark
My sense of order (notice I did not say neuroses?!?)
My great ability to plan
Laughter at most everything I mean to be funny (Mama's a great audience!)
New clothes when I'm sure there was no money left in the till for yours
My eyes
A great love of music and filling the house with it
Great collarbones
A sense of duty
A big, fat, Italian family
A firm hand
My ability to cry at anything slightly sentimental (Hallmark commercials anyone?)
Playing with my daughter on the floor when she was a toddler
Cleaning my refrigerator
Delicious food every night of the week
A great moral compass
Piano lessons even when I didn't want to practice (little did I know I would need them so desperately later in my career)
Flying out to help me when I had my babies
The gifts you shower upon my children 20,000 times a year
My very life
Faith to move mountains
Memories to last a lifetime

There are so many more things you gave.  Things, I'm sure I have no idea to this day even, that were sacrificed for my benefit and that of my sisters.  (Like hanging laundry from a clothesline for seven people for years!!  Good Lord, I can't even imagine!)  There are no words to adequately describe how grateful I am to you.  And in these later years - though I know it was the commitment you made 50 years ago - you have no idea how much I appreciate what you do for my father each day...especially when I'm sure it gets hard...and lonely. 

But I want you to know that these sacrifices do not go unnoticed. 
I want you to know that you have set the bar SO high for each of us girls. 
I want you to know that I hope to be half the worker,
half the generous mother,
half the woman of faith I know you are.

So to my beautiful, Italian, song-filled mother...
Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

I love you...

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia ~ I'm in tears...what a beautiful present to give to your Mom. Cherish her! Makes me wish I could tell my Mom - I miss her so.

    Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Caren, thanks so much for your kind words and appreciation. I can't imagine not being able to tell her myself.

    We ALL loved your mother - she was the best! I know you miss her but she would be so proud knowing what a wonderful mother she raised. Ashley's so lucky.

    Love to you and Mark!

    ReplyDelete