Friday, April 27, 2012

Tipping the Scales

My zodiacal sign is Libra, September being my birthday.  Now that may mean not mean much to you and doesn't mean much more to me, except to say that from every personality description I've ever read, I am the quintessential Libra, especially in regard to decision making.  You know, the scales...interminably weighing every option.

I will look at each choice from 35,000 different angles...
weigh and measure the outcome...
make my decision...
re-evaluate said decision 35,000 times more, considering the effect on anyone and everyone involved...
Decide again.

It is exhausting.

Thus when I have a path down which I feel I'm being led, it is difficult for me to just blindly accept the guidance without question and analysis.  It is not in my nature to see the signs all around me - Scripture verses, songs, people who advise me - without further thought, worry, and discourse on whether these are true messages for me or whether I am reading into things.  So my mind spins out of control, as I set back on my Libran course.

I look at each choice from 35,000 different angles...
weigh and measure the outcome...
make my decision...
re-evaluate said decision 35,000 times more, considering the effect on anyone and everyone involved...
Decide again.
You get the picture.

A few weeks ago, when my sister came to visit, she brought me a gift.  She knows I love coffee and she knows I love birds.  (Yeah, yeah, I know...weirdo bird lady.)  So when she saw a coffee mug with a bird on a branch, with a quote from Scripture, she said she had to get it for me.  It is one of my favorite verses from Psalm 46:  "Be still and know that I am God."

I  love the whimsical look of this piece and its' beautiful reminder of how we are called to live.  I have enjoyed it every morning after the dishwasher run.

Mug - Be Still And Know That I Am GodImagine my surprise two days later, while analyzing yet another course for my guided path, a favorite daily devotional quoted from Psalm 46:  "Be still and know that I am God."  
One day after that, ensconced in my daily assigned Scripture reading, the message was:  "Be still and know that I am God."

A week later, listening to the radio, the host announced the Scripture on which a song had been based.  Can you guess it?  Yep, "Be still and know that I am God."  Yesterday, the same message from yet another venue:  "Be still and know that I am God."

So as I endeavor to quiet my mind, removing it from "spinning mode," I focus on the instruction laid out thoroughly before me:  
"Be still and know that I am God." 
Then, rather than wonder which way the scales will tip, I will inherently know that - either way - as long as I listen and follow His word, they will always tip in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment