Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Son

My 12 year old son came into my room to say goodnight before turning in.  After he had done the requisite "night" with the half-embarrassed squeeze that I've come to terms with lately, he turned suddenly on his way out the door and said, "Oh, Mom, I forgot to say thanks for picking up my Humalog from the pharmacy."

My type 1 diabetic son was thanking me for getting his insulin...
that which keeps his blood sugar low enough to manage daily living...
without which he would be very, very sick....
hospitalized...
or worse.

I was stunned.

I said, "Come here, Braden," holding out my arms to him and he came readily, for once not holding back his true affection for me in the awkward reality of trying to grow into a man.  I held him close, rocked him back and forth, and finally said, "I can't believe you just thanked me for that.  I can't believe you're so awesome that you're thanking me for getting your medicine ('when we would all give anything if you didn't need that medicine in the first place')...I mean, I really appreciate you saying that but you don't know how special it is."

He pulled out of my embrace and looked at me closely in the eye...
paused...
smiled...
and said, "Well, it helps me to live after all."

Silence...
Longest moment of blessing in a while...
looking at each other, understanding the gravity of that statement...
No words were adequate so I pulled him in for another long hug.
And he let me.

After, I cupped his face in my hands and said to him, "You make every day better for me."
He said, "You look like you're about to cry."
I just laughed when his dad said, "That sounds about right."

Thank you God for my brave young man...
For the lessons he teaches me daily...
about courage...
grace...
gratitude.
Thank you for charging me with his care, and in doing so, making me open to receiving the blessings You pour out through him each and every day.

I don't mean to be cheeky, God, but You know what?
Both of our sons are awesome!!

6 comments:

  1. Sobbing, friends...
    Thank you for reading and for your beautiful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. Such a beautiful boy... growing into a wonderful man. Kudos to you, D & Papa Bear upstairs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nico...
    And amen to that!
    See you tomorrow!!!!
    C

    ReplyDelete