Friday, March 9, 2012

A Prayer of Gratitude

Two days ago, I was in the grocery store (does anyone else feel like they LIVE there??) picking up some prescriptions.  As I was walking past the flower department - my favorite - I saw a gal who goes to my church.  I often stop and spend a few minutes chatting with her.  That day, I didn't really have time to stop but called out to her as I was passing, "Hey there!  How are you?"  She looked up from her arranging and said, "Fine.  How are you?"  I said, "I'm great!" to which she replied "You're always great!"  She smiled and I went on my way.

A simple enough exchange...but felt so profoundly by me...

I thought immediately back to a year ago when I clearly was not only not great, but not even fine.  I could barely take a trip to grocery store without heaving myself out of bed, disheveled and panicked, to make the outing.  I would get in and out as quickly as possible talking with as few people as I could along the way.  Ugh...what an icky time.

But sometimes we need those pathetic memories to realize how far we have come and how great God makes our lives.  Because the "flower lady" was right - now I'm more "great" than "fine."  I'm happier more often than I have ever been.  I look at life most days as an opportunity to grow and experience rather than to just endure.

And what a beautiful thing it is for me to know that others see that change.  That the light of Christ is shining forth.  That He is opening up my heart to embrace the many people with whom I come in contact.  What a moment of triumph in its simplicity - and a moment to stop, reflect upon and offer up as a prayer of gratitude for life's blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, C! Your confidence in proclaiming all He has done... and not being shy about feeling great is such a powerful testimony!! Encouraged. xo

    ReplyDelete