Monday, March 12, 2012

Man in a Hole

I've always loved that story about the man who falls in a hole...

The walls are so deep, he can't climb out.
A doctor walks by and the guy yells, "Hey, can you help me?"  So the doctor writes a prescription, throws it in the hole and keeps walking.
A priest walks by and the guy hollers, "Hey, Father, can you help me out here?"  The priest says a prayer over the hole, blesses him and moves on.
Then the guy sees his friend, Joe.  "Hey, Joe, can you help me out of here?"  So Joe jumps into the hole...

Now every time I hear this, I always think that's the end of story.  Hilarious...they're both stuck.  And I think to myself, "What a friend to be willing to stick by his pal to the extent that his path stops completely too.  Foolish, but loyal!"  Then I remember that there's an ending to the story...

The guy says to Joe, "What, are you stupid or something?  Now we're both stuck here."  To which Joe replies, "Yeah, but I've been here before, and I know the way out."

I've been here before, and I know the way out...
I've been here before, and I know the way out...

These are the words I am now able to speak to my friends and family when they are suffering.  God blessed me with seemingly insurmountable problems last year...problems which I thought I could not solve - or endure - or recover from.  Today I see that not only could I endure them, I have grown from them endlessly.  They were given me for a reason.  What a blessing.  What a blessing to be able to share this pain and recovery with those now wallowing in cavernous holes.  And what a blessing to be able to say, "I have been here before and I know the way out."

The way out is the Way.  No question...no debate...no kidding.  So all you folks in a hole, thinking you need a prescription or a surface blessing or prayer to climb out of the darkness, know that you  may need those things - plus a friend who honestly understands, empathizes, and shares your load.  Make no mistake - that person has been purposely placed there for a reason.  And you will likely climb out much more quickly if you call on them for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment