Friday, January 20, 2012

Play It Again, Sam

"In the morning when I rise...
In the morning when I rise...
In the morning when I rise...
Give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus.
Give me Jesus.
You may have all this world.
Give me Jesus."

This was the second hymn we sang last week in church.  As a lyricist myself, I've sometimes wondered why songwriters repeat phrases over and over and over.  I'm embarrassed to say I've often thought it was a bit of a cop-out. ("Can they not think of anything more to say?  Are they just filling space?  Did they run out of ideas?" are questions that have run through my mind on more than one occasion.  Jeez, talk about being judgemental - and in church no less!) But this week as I sang the opening phrase once...twice...three times, it finally made sense.  Sometimes an idea needs to sit with you, germinate, blossom and flourish before it truly takes hold.  Certainly for me in that moment, it took me all three utterances before I realized..."as soon as I awake, give me Jesus...that's all I need."  What a wonderful prescription for a happy, peaceful day.

The second and third verses followed suit:

"Now the journey has begun...
Now the journey has begun...
Now the journey has begun...
Give me Jesus.


"When the prize is surely won...
When the prize is surely won...
When the prize is surely won...
Give me Jesus.


Give me Jesus.
Give me Jesus.
You may have all this world.
Give me Jesus."

Thank you for the reminder in this precious way, Lord.  Thank you for inspiring our song leader, Vivian, to choose this song for my benefit (and probably the benefit of several others...hope they were listening!!).  Thank you for knocking me on the head with the realization of the meaning.  Yes, my journey has begun and my prize is surely won - as long as I have Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment