Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One Chicken Nugget Away

I hate New Years resolutions.

I  haven't committed myself to any type of promise or goal at the start of January for years.  I feel that an obligatory pledge at the beginning of a year, just because it's expected, carries loads of pressure and thus is doomed to fail before it even begins.

After a beautiful week at my family's home in Alabama, enjoying every moment, especially the food, I was once again reminded of making New Years resolutions (since previous ones generally centered around losing an unrealistic amount of weight in an unrealistic time period).   Still I commented wryly to my husband, "I'll tell ya', I'm one Chick-Fil-a chicken nugget away from being able to button my pants."  Should I resolve to get in better shape again?

Additionally, while I have no shortage of enthusiasm in starting projects and goals, I am somewhat more challenged in the area of follow-through. I get excited about a drastic change (whether "drastic" is needed or not) then when the objective is not immediately reached, my excitement is quelled and my interest starts to wane. Mentally, I call my husband the "closer." I start a project and he invariably has to step in 3/4 of the way through to finish it because I run out of steam.   Should I resolve to finish everything that I start?

Probably my worst vice is my lack of interest in and care for money.  Don't get me wrong.  I like to spend money.  Otherwise, I have no interest in it whatsoever.  (No pun intended.)  If a bill has a grace period, you can bet I'm taking it.  If I don't remember a deadline, I shrug my shoulders and promise to catch up the next day.  Should I resolve to resolve my irresolve?

I was praying about this in the days before the end of the year and it struck me that, regardless of whether I find these traits undesirable or not, they may, in fact, be keeping me from all of the blessings God wants to shower on me.  I think there's a level of trustworthiness associated with all three of these characteristics.  I am like a child...one who wants what she wants when she wants it and doesn't want to put the time or energy into the real work it may take to finally achieve it. 

I'm not trying to be unduly hard on myself.  I know there are lots of things at which I'm industrious, dedicated and responsible.  I take good care of my family.  I am a hard worker when I am given a job to complete (by someone else!).  I am generous in my care for others.  But should I just accept that I have these other flaws?

No, I think that I am being called to fully realize my potential in each area of my life.  For if I prove that I can finish each project I start, pay each note early, take care of the vessel God has blessed my life with, how much more will God be able to trust with me bigger blessings, bigger territories, bigger opportunities?  Yes, when I think of resolutions in this way, they don't feel daunting...they feel exciting...they feel respectful...they feel honoring.  I am looking forward to a year - nay, a lifetime - of honoring Him in this way.

1 comment: