Friday, January 13, 2012

Dark or Bright, Day or Night

I can walk and chew gum at the same time.  I can pat my head and rub my stomach (and vice versa) simultaneously.  I can tell my left from my right.  But I don't think these necessarily fit the criteria for someone of above average intelligence.  There are times I truly wonder how I function in life, I am so dense. 

I have been singing the same song in my head for months now.  It's a song that our praise band sings at church and honestly, I've been moved by it for years, but really only because I like the melody so much.  Oh, and it fits perfectly in my range.  Oh, and I can wail on the chorus.

But it wasn't until October that I truly read the lyrics and realized what they were conveying.  (Thus my discussion on my dimness earlier....lyric subtext was part of the class I taught my whole life...always part of my voice lessons...and here I was suffering from the same blankness as my previous students! Arrrggghhh...)

Anyway, the gist of the song is taken from various verses in the books of Genesis, Psalms and Job.  Sentiments from Job 1:21b have inspired the chorus.  Job praises the Lord despite his inconsistent blessings.  "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord!"

The song, "Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt and Beth Redman details all of the events and opportunitities we have have to say "blessed be God." 

"Blessed be Your name when the sun's shining down on me.
When the world's all as it should be,
Blessed be your name.
(This next part is where I glossed over the meaning)
Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering.
Though there's pain in the offering,
Blessed be Your name.

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise.
(Again, didn't get this next part for years because the music was just that perfect "build" that I wanted to enjoy...so distracting!)
And when the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord.
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.
Blessed be Your glorious name."

Because I wanted to hear what I wanted to hear (and part of that was my own voice raised in song), I was missing the greater meaning.  That we give thanks and praise in times of blessing is a given.  But just as, if not more, important is that we give thanks and praise in times of darkness and doubt...pain and illness...grief and confusion...trial and ruin.  Because we are never truly ruined with God at our side.  He will continue to bless us...just perhaps not in our timeline or as we envision it.

He gives and takes away...He gives and takes away.  Job learned that.  We all have that lesson in life.  But when I can say "thank you God...blessed be Your name" in my darkest hour, then will I know I have reached true faith.  

No comments:

Post a Comment