Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Beauty Makeover

I'm starting to look like an old catcher's mitt.

My friend, Neysha, became a Mary Kay consultant a few months ago, and I went to see her for a visit and a trial run.  Now truthfully, I have forever been a soap and water kinda gal, proudly at that, and have always been reticent to spend time or money on myself in this way.  But since I am starting to resemble a piece of worn leather - beautiful on a fireside recliner but not so attractive staring back at you from the mirror - I decided I would go and see what the fuss was all about.
Ahhh...how refreshing!

I spent the morning with her, playing, trying products, laughing, eating string cheese and baby carrots (she let me raid her fridge - getting beautiful is hungry work apparently), and at the end of our visit I looked refreshed, renewed, and glowing.  I left her house armed with a veritable arsenal of product, not just for myself but for my family as well.

At days end, I glanced up in the mirror and realized that my face still looked as fresh as it had at noon.  All it took was a few minutes and a little money to invest - and I actually had a great time.  Who'd have thunk?  I was converted...

This morning I was thinking about this very subject, realizing it was the perfect metaphor for my spirit.  True, it can be difficult to find time and energy to invest in prayer, reflection, reading inspirational fare and following Christ.  But when I do, I feel the difference...I see the results still at the end of the day...my family reaps the rewards...I am glowing.

So rather than eventually requiring a chemical peel for my soul, I've decided to devote the time necessary to achieve inner luminosity.  If I slather on the Scripture, I bet it'll take years off.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tamara. Gotta have coffee when it stops raining!! How about Thursday?

    ReplyDelete