Thursday, December 8, 2011

American Flag Bikini and Gold Tiara Required

This past week I felt like Wonder Woman.

I flew home (not in an invisible airplane) to stay with my parents for a few days and help them with their Christmas preparations. In only four days, we...

Decorated their Christmas tree and the entire house

Purchased gifts for 6 daughters/spouses & 10 grandchildren

My dad and I purchased and wrapped all gifts for my mom

Assembled three Advent calendars

Attended two church services

PLUS managed breakfast, lunch, dinner, laundry, Art class, church music prep, cleaning the house, boxed items to be stored until after the holidays...did part of this in the pouring rain...all the time talking, laughing, crying, singing, communicating in both words and gestures but always with love.

Essentially I helped Mama get 3/4 of her Christmas jobs done. Maybe I AM Wonder Woman!  Or am I?  Let's examine the evidence further.

I have black hair
I am strong
Obviously I possess super-speed, super-stamina and super-agility (you should have seen my 4' 10" frame hanging the tree angel from a tack on the ceiling!)
Maybe most importantly, I have "Super Friends" who help me.  This trip those "friends" included:

Batman (my husband, who held down the fort in my absence)
Superman (my brother-in-law, for gifting me the airline ticket)
Supergirl (my sister, who lent me her car)
AquaMan (another brother-in-law who lifted my luggage into the car in a single bound)
Catwoman (another sister who talked me through a couple of challenging situations)
The Wonder Twins (my kids who got rides for themselves and fixed themselves meals and were just generally self-sufficient while I was away)

The evidence is stacking up.  By the way, I forgot to mention that the name Cynthia means "Diana," Wonder Woman's alter ego.  Oh my gosh, could it be true?

But wait! I have no Lasso of Truth, no golden tiara to use as a projectile, don't know hand to hand combat and definitely don't communicate with the animal kingdom.  Who am I then?  As Queen Hippolyte from the comic series said, "Go in peace my daughter.  And remember that, in a world of ordinary mortals, you are a Wonder Woman."  Was she talking to me?

No, my answer is clear.  I am like every other "Wonder" woman...an ordinary woman who loves her family fiercely; who would move Heaven and Earth to make sure they have what they need; who loves to serve and care for others; who leans upon the strength of God to get her through challenging and busy situations in order to show His love to those for whom she feels responsible.

I'm not Wonder Woman.  I'm just Cynthia.  And I'm ok with that.  (Although I imagine my husband wouldn't mind of I donned the American flag bikini, tiara and red boots for an evening or two!)

No comments:

Post a Comment