Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Other Half

This will be a short, but heartfelt post about my greatest blessing...my husband.

For those of you who think this is cheesy or cliche', you may have yourself a good laugh (or eye roll) at my expense...but I encourage you to continue reading as I consider myself the most blessed person in the world and hope to share a piece of this blessing with you all - and offer hope to those who may not feel the same way in their life.

Drew is most definitely the other half that makes my life whole.  He's great at everything I'm not and fills in the places in me that are missing.  Now, I'm not just talking about which one of us can help the kids with which part of their homework assignments...while he's brilliant at math (and I can barely do simple arithmetic anymore) and I'm adept at English (he stumbles while reading a story aloud), the qualities go so much deeper below the surface.

He's thoughtful, logical and deliberate....I'm impulsive, scattered and impetuous.
He's measured and calm...I'm hotheaded and wild.
He's sunny and optimistic...I'm, well, I'm getting there.

This is not to say that my qualities are bad and his are good or vice versa.  What I mean to say is that we compliment each other beautifully.  While he would rather sweep conflict and discomfort under the rug, I want to bring it into the open and shine on it for all the world to see.  Now, although I've learned to be more sensitive in the way that I do this, I believe my prolific communication style has benefited him greatly...and his measured logic has calmed me...it works both ways.

But in the ways that truly count, we are the same.  We have the same moral compass; the same work ethic; the same love of humor; the same compassion for the downtrodden; the same commitment to our family and our marriage. 

Our marriage, like most, has had ups and downs, highs and lows; some lows SO low that we didn't know how we would dig ourselves out.  In the way of offering hope, it's important for the reader to know that we have not always been where we are now...but are so committed to each other that we worked and worked and worked to get it right...sometimes until we were weary; sometimes when we wanted to give up; sometimes when we felt there was little hope.  But in persevering, we found so much more than we ever thought possible in each other, with each other, for each other.  I am so grateful that our marriage is so healthy and loving in spite of and because of these trying times.

So in my week of thanksgiving to God for my gorgeous life, I say, "Thank you, Lord, for my beautiful husband.  Thank you for his strength when I am weak.  Thank you for my strength when he is weak.  Thank you for blessing our life together with great abundance and great love."

Here's hoping that you find all that you are looking for in the people with whom you choose to spend your life.  I've found this year that many times it's just a matter of saying "thank you" for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment