Friday, November 4, 2011

God in the Grocery Store

I've been under the weather the last few days so I went to the doctor this morning to try and stay ahead of it.  While at the grocery store waiting for my prescription to be filled at their pharmacy, I was just barely making it through.  You know those moments...the ones where people see you coming and greet you with a smile only for it to turn to a look of confusion or repulsion as you approach?  The far away picture of you looks a lot more pulled together than the one from up close:  untidy hair, greenish pallor, face contorted in discomfort, old T-shirt and tennis shoes which happened to be the easiest thing to don to get you out of the house then back to bed.  Yessir, I was looking pretty!

Anyway, I was checking out at the pharmacy, feeling awful, in pain and a little stressed about how long it was going to take me to heal from this since my kids' birthdays are this weekend.  As I was wheeling my cart away from the counter, I passed the blood pressure machine and in it, a man, 40-something, Hispanic, black ponytail, work clothes appropriate for manual labor, maybe house repairs or painting.  He looked up at me and said, "How are you today?"  I said, "Okay, and you?" not really feeling okay but in spite of my soreness, wanting to be friendly.  He looked cheerfully at me with merry brown eyes and said, "I'm great.  I hope you have a great day."  I nodded and continued on, feeling a beautiful wash of peace over me.

I was walking out the door to the store and suddenly, there he was in front of me.  He moved aside so I could pass through the doors before him and said, "Please, ladies first."  I thanked him and then he ran ahead, looked back for a moment, grinned warmly and waved.

I can't explain it, but I knew I had just met God.  Of course, I don't know if he was actually God - or an angel - or an ordinary man that God put in my path because I needed to know He was with me and watching over me today.  But I knew without doubt that I had had a moment of divine connection. 

Maybe movies like "Dear God" or "Evan Almighty" aren't too far fetched.  Maybe God really appears suddenly sometimes looking like George Burns or Morgan Freeman or a little Mexican man in a white jumpsuit and work boots...to give, if only for a moment, tangible evidence to support our constant need of comfort and faith.  All I know is that I felt so blessed for the rest of the day and it quieted my heart to know I wasn't alone.  Who'd of thunk that God may drive a white Toyota work truck while driving around town blessing the folks in Long Beach, California?

No comments:

Post a Comment