Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Miracle of Birth

For those of you who have seen the birth of any living, breathing thing, you know the feeling of total awe as you realize that you just witnessed something profound, wondrous, seemingly impossible...the beginning of a life.  (And for those of you who haven't, I'm hoping you'll just go with me on this.)  To me, it is one proof of God's existence.  The intricate workings of all of the different systems - nervous, circulatory, respiratory - coming together in one glorious creation with thoughts and feelings!  All of this and yet so, so much more.  How else could this miracle occur except through a divine presence?  (That was rhetorical.  I'm not really asking, so scientists, just pipe down!)

As extraordinary as that is, I really wanted to acknowledge the further miracle that God creates in giving us people in our lives to learn from, grow with, stand by and lean on.  Today is the birthday of one of my miracles...my beautiful sister.  I know with no doubt that God placed us in the same family for a reason.  And I don't have to wonder the reasons, as I so often do.  She is a model for me of parenting, compassion, spiritualilty and of course, entertaining.  (Go Martha!)  She is often the barometer by which I judge how to handle a negative situation.  Along with these qualities, however, in case you're wondering if she's so sweet you'll get a cavity, she is quickwitted and incredibly hilarious.  In every way, she's a joy to be around.  How lucky am I that God graced me with a small part in her life?

So on this special day, I wanted to take the opportunity to reflect on the miracles in all of our lives.  Most of us don't have to look very far for them.  But as in everything, we need to remember to acknowledge these amazing people for what they are...the riches we take with us on our journey...the birth of a connection never broken...the life of a love incomparable...the miracle that God has given each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment