Friday, October 7, 2011

It's My Party and I'll Box If I Want To

No, not box as in fighting...box as in packaging...here, let me start from the beginning...

I read in the LA times Arts section recently that MTV is having to reformat its programming to meet the needs of the "millineum generation" who is taking over the airwaves from "GenX."  (God, I feel old.)  Never having been an MTV watcher, I was unfamiliar with the issue.  (We didn't have cable growing up so my only MTV memory is of my friend, Karen, rocking out to "Shout" by Tears for Fears at a sleepover...aaahhh, the 80's!)  It seems that because of the state of the world - economy, war, joblessness - the millineum gen has different views on what is cool (or is that "sick?") and what is unacceptable.  Apparently, the TV show, The Hills, at one time a big hit for MTV, was viewed as almost obscene what with the crowd's aberrant spending and petty arguments.  (This according to the article, of course.  I've never seen the show.)  Instead, they are bringing on programming for a new kind of audience who is looking to relate to circumstances similar to their own, one of less money and more quality.  I only hope they are able to represent the side of the "quality" issue concerned with giving back.


Taking a 30 second juggling break. 
Hey I need that rice for the hungry folks!
In keeping with that theme, my husband and I decided that instead of doing a birthday celebration this year, we would try and give back a little to the community at large in honor of all of the blessings we have received.  We met at the LA Food Bank with family and spent the morning filling bins, organizing foodstuffs, lifting boxes (okay, only the guys lifted anything!) and we even fit in a little juggling and moonwalking.  (They had the Michael Jackson tunes cranked at one point.)  We were there for less than three hours but in that time, we were told by our volunteer coordinator, Jeff, that we helped feed 3,500 senior citizens with the volunteerism present that day.  We couldn't believe how little effort it took to make such a huge difference!


On the assembly line like I Love Lucy...
except we didn't eat the rice and beans!

Our volunteer group after our shift
Many times I get so caught up in my own little world that I forget I have time, energy and resources to give away and that it would make all of the difference in the world to those with so little.  Even in our darkest moments of fear for our own finances and futures, it's important for Drew and I to remember that we will be taken care of if we trust, work hard  and have faith in Him who cares for us! 

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 tells us: 

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 

For myself, I will try and be a cheerful giver as often as possible from now on, boxing, packaging, sorting, lifting...okay, and if I have to, a little moonwalking too.

No comments:

Post a Comment