Sunday, October 16, 2011

Field of Dreams

"If you build it, they will come," are some of the most famous and profound words uttered in movie history. Kevin Costner's character, Ray, in the movie Field of Dreams struggles with a seemingly insane idea to construct a baseball field on his land rather than make that space work for him by growing rows and rows of Iowa corn.  Every time he begins to question his next move, the little voice inside his head continues to murmur enigmatic instructions in his ear, pushing his beliefs beyond what he thought capable - and of course, everything is prosperous by the movie's end.  At the very least, this is a gorgeous fantasy film about a man with the opportunity to meet greats from the not-so-distant past.  But at its' core, it is clearly a movie about faith...what form it takes, our readiness to obey it despite physical proof, and the rewards we reap when take that leap.

We all have our own instructions to follow.  I was musing to myself recently about which former greats would walk out of the meadow behind my house to greet me (that WOULD be a dream...okay, which greats would walk out of the cinderblock wall surrounding my property.  Happy now?  My dream is not quite so idyllic anymore!  Sigh...).  Anway...

Enter scene:
Richard L. Simon and M. Lincoln Schuster (Founders and Editors, Simon and Schuster Book Publishers)
then
Bennett Cerf and Donald Klopfer (Founders and Editors, Random House Publishers)
then
Edwin Meredith (Founder and Editor in Chief, Better Homes and Gardens)
all donned similarly in suits, ties, wingtip shoes, a pencil behind one ear, dragging a battered typewriter behind them.  Each one coming to greet me and asking if they could read my work, edit it, collaborate a bit and then publish it.  Afterward bringing out their silver flasks of bourbon, offering me a drink and a cigar and then sitting in my backyard to regale me with stories of how they built some of the largest publishing empires in history.

I loved this thought and this dream.  As I continued to romanticize this sequence of events, that little voice in my own head - not the encouraging one, but the one who likes wreaking havoc on my self-esteem - started its own murmuring, "You don't have enough experience.  You have nothing to say.  You have no technique.  You don't have a writing degree.  You'll never publish anything."  As my shoulders drooped and I started to absorb the negativity, I suddenly shook my body all over (small shimmy, folks) and said, "Get out!  You're wrong."  And then another voice - the one I have come to know better and better and whom I LOVE - whispered, "It doesn't matter what you don't have...what you haven't done...what you think you can't do.  If God wants it to be so, it will be so.  He will give you the words.  He will open the doors.  He is bigger than all of the obstacles.  Just keep listening."

The next day, I was approved for the Google program I needed in order to help fund this blog and continue sharing my thoughts and words.  The day after that I was hired for my first professional writing job.

This is my "field of dreams."  And now I know that with God on my side...if I write it, they will come!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I am so encouraged - and excited for you. Amen to embracing Truth over Lies. We can always find a reason NOT to be great... but God takes every single one and flips it to work for him - genius!

    ReplyDelete